ABOUT THE COUNCIL
The Canadian Council of Imams is a collective leadership of Imams (Ministers of Religion) in Canada. Established in 1990, the Council has been serving the Canadian Muslim communities throughout the nation in different capacities as well as acting as a unifying platform for the Imams and chaplains and being a resource centre for many of them. Through monthly meetings, press releases, seminars and conferences the council has succeeded in bringing most of the Imams together and unite them on many issues. The council has deliberated over many issues affecting the community and put forward some solutions. At the same time it filled a vacuum with the Government and it has become the principle liaison with Federal, Ontario Provincial and Toronto Municipal Governments.
- To Provide a platform for Imams to come together and address issues affecting the Muslim Community at large;
- To Assist in coordinating Islamic activities in member communities;
- To develop policies and practices that enhance understanding of Islam among Muslims and non-Muslims;
- To act as an advisor on Islamic matters with various levels of Government, i.e. Federal, Provincial and Municipal.
- Settled thousands of disputes in the Muslim community, related either to Marriage, Divorce, Inheritance or any other issues;
- Been accepted as full member of the Inter-Faith Committee of both Federal and Provincial Governments as well as Municipal one to provide Chaplaincy services in Correctional facilities and Hospitals;
- Provided training on Islam for Chaplaincy students;
- Been acting as advisor on Islamic matters to the Metro Toronto Council and to the Metro Toronto Police departments and Law enforcement agencies;
- Established procedures with Metro Emergency Response Team for entering Mosque by the Ambulance, Police and Fire departments;
- Organized many workshops on assessing Social Service needs of Muslim Community in Metro Toronto,
- Worked with Children Aid Society of Metro Toronto for better understanding of Islam, conducted staff training;
- Worked with Flight Kitchens to provide and standardize Muslims Halal Meals for Airlines.
- Facilitated training of Hospital visitation program by Muslims on a 24 hour needs basis for Scarborough area;
- Dialogued with Ministry of Agriculture for establishing Halal Standards for Slaughter houses in Ontario;
- Dialogued with Ministry of Citizenship, Culture & Recreation and Minister of Education on issues affecting the community.
- Dialogued with different federal and provincial governments on issues of National and Provincial Interests.
- Presented tens of papers at different conferences in universities and different platforms both locally and internationally.
The Council does not endorse political parties or candidates, but we support each other in working for policies that both embody and actively foster love and caring, kindness and generosity, nonviolence, ethical and ecological sensitivity, and awe, wonder, and radical amazement at the grandeur of the universe.
CURRENT BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Imam Dr. Mohammad Iqbal Al-Nadvi
Imam Abdur Rashid Taylor
email: secretary at canadiancouncilofimams.com
Imam Yusuf Badat
Tel: 416.321.0909 (x.235)
Email: imam at islamicfoundation.ca
Imam Mirsad Kaplani
Imam Dr. Abdul Hai Patel
Address: POB 41551, 1711 Mc Cowan Rd., Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M1S 5G8